Why is it that in the summer we naturally crave more fresh and raw foods? These foods have a cooling effect on the body.
The lightness and high water, fiber, and vitamin content, work together to act as our internal air conditioning during these warm months. At this time of year we also need less dense, high-energy food because we get so much energy from being outside in the fresh air and sunshine. There is no better season than summer to have fun creating your own fresh, tasty, and creative salad combinations. By simply tossing together several of your favorite raw veggies—with or without dressing—you have a perfect meal for a hot summer’s day.
- Try your favorite leafy lettuce with various sliced, diced or grated veggies. The possible combinations are endless.
- Fresh herbs are a wonderful option to mix in, as they are packed full of flavor.
- Experiment with adding diverse forms of protein to your salads, such as nuts, seeds, beans, tofu, fish or poultry.
- Enjoy decadent amounts of berries, such as strawberries and blueberries. They make great desserts and taste delicious in salads.
This is a great opportunity to try a new vegetable from your local farmer’s market or plant a vegetable garden of your own. What are some creative flavors you’ve never tried before? Fennel and mint? Chard and arugula? Summer squash with watercress? Whatever you choose, have fun with your food, drink plenty of water, and stay cool.
Bok Choy Apple Slaw
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey or brown rice syrup
- salt and black pepper to taste
For the salad:
- 6 stalks bok choy (about 1/2 head)
- 1/2 small red onion
- 6 French radishes
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled
- 1/2 cup toasted sunflower seeds
- Combine all the dressing ingredients and whisk well. Set aside.
- Thinly slice the bok choy, onion, radishes, and apple (slice the apple last). Place sliced ingredients and sunflower seeds in a medium salad bowl and mix to combine.
- Toss the salad with half of the dressing. Add additional dressing if desired.
- Eat immediately.