Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 5 servings
1 cup green lentils
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 stalk celery, chopped
4 cups spring water or vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon rosemary
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
½ teaspoon sea salt
Squeeze of lemon or 1 tablespoon umeboshi vinegar
1. Spread lentils on a flat surface and pick out any stones, then wash and drain.
2. In a soup pot, warm oil over medium heat.
3. Add onions and cook 5 minutes or until translucent.
4. Add carrot and celery and sauté 3-5 minutes.
5. Spread lentils on top.
6. Add water, bay leaf and rosemary and bring to boil.
7. Reduce to low heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until lentils are tender.
8. Add chopped parsley, salt and a squeeze of lemon juice or umeboshi vinegar.
9. Simmer another 2 minutes and serve.
• Add a small piece of rinsed kombu.