Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yield: 8 servings
1 cup hulled barley
2 ¼ cups water
¼ teaspoon sea salt
2 bunches arugula
½ cup sunflower seeds
1 carrot, chopped
½ bunch scallions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
Juice of 1 or 2 lemons
1. Place barley, water and salt in a pot.
2. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 45 minutes.
3. Wash arugula and chop into small pieces.
4. Place sunflower seeds on a cookie sheet and toast for 5 minutes in a 350-degree oven, being careful not to burn them.
5. When the barley is cooked, transfer to a large mixing bowl, add all ingredients and mix well.
6. Add salt and pepper if desired.