Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Yield: 4 servings
1 summer squash or zucchini
1 small seeded cucumber
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
½ tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
½ jalapeno pepper, finely diced
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
½ bunch cilantro, chopped
½ lime, juiced
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 tablespoon cumin
3 tablespoons sesame oil
1 ½ tablespoons tamari
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
½ cup brown rice syrup
1. Grate summer squash and cucumber, place in a bowl and sprinkle with sea salt. Place the bowl in
the fridge for 45 minutes to 1 ½ hours. Remove from the fridge and drain off excess water.
Squeeze the squash and cucumber to remove more liquid.
2. Place curry, cumin, oil and tamari in pan on medium heat and stir until all flavors blend. Add
almonds and pumpkin seeds and stir until all nuts and seeds are evenly coated. Add the rice syrup
and cook until liquids are completely evaporated and the mixture begins to brown. Remove the
mixture from heat and spread it on a cookie sheet. Set aside until it cools and becomes crisp.
When completely cool, chop coarsely.
3. Mix the ginger, jalapeno pepper, celery, cilantro, lime juice and oil in a large bowl.
4. Add the pressed squash and cucumber and mix well.
5. If time allows, let salad marinade in fridge for 20 minutes.
6. Add 1 cup of topping to salad.
• Substitute almonds and pumpkin seeds with your favorite nut or seed.
• The remaining topping can be saved for other uses for up to 3-4 weeks in an air tight container.